Virginia University of Lynchburg seeks to recognize the possibilities in every human being and maximize the gifts of the individual within the context of a thoroughly Christian and nurturing environment, which offers students opportunities to develop into able leaders and scholars. The Mission is to provide a solid Liberal Arts and Christian Education program for all students. The University continues to embrace our African American heritage along with appreciation for other cultures and ethnic groups in our global community.
Virginia University of Lynchburg has, for the past 25 years, operated several teaching locations in the state of Virginia. This effort is in keeping with VUL’s historic missionary spirit of reaching out to the wider community beyond the University. This historical African American institution was founded in 1886 to meet the growing demands of our community for better-educated and trained ministers, missionaries, and public school teachers.
In support of its Mission, Virginia University of Lynchburg seeks to equip its students with training and skills to:
- Share the Word of God with the saved and unsaved.
- Understand, apply, analyze, synthesize, and evaluate information gained in the humanities, social sciences, and natural sciences during their educational careers and throughout their lives. Engage in a major field of study with a solid liberal arts foundation.
- Actualize their spiritual, academic, and vocational potentialities.
- Know and help fulfill the needs of others in a way that leads to the betterment of humanity.
- Become mature, informed, and effective Christian leaders in a complex and globally diverse society.
- Possess university-level competencies in writing, speaking, reading, analytical reasoning, computer literacy, library research, and appreciation of the arts.
- Cultivate and implement distinct Christian service ministries.